The Bulldozer

Show off/share/acquire new ship designs.

The Bulldozer

Postby Darwin Awarded » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:51 am

Well now that the patch where the light collisions do no damage, me and Wayward started trying to move stuff around. Relics were spun around in the map (I don't know how it is called) where you have these rectangular-shaped relics.

I have come up with such a design (which is a modification of my Great Wall).
The ship is steerable, and the 3 rear manoeuvring thrusters at the back prevents the bulldozer from spinning. Once it starts moving a crate, it is possible to steer the crate a tiny bit using short thrusters impulse. Two heavy thrusters placed on turrets provide strafing capabilities (to handle crates with more precision), though I was thinking of using light thrusters instead due to their better response, and lower thrust, as by experience, only minor corrections were needed.

And these are the results. (You can zoom out the page to see the images in your browser, or you can open each individual images using right mouse click, at least in Opera).

You know where this is going.....

Yes that's right !

Alternatively, you could send a crate to the no-fly area....

Hopefully, soon, we will be able to make a relic-ramship ! ;)
Attachments
Le Bulldozer.png
Le Bulldozer.png (105.9 KiB) Viewed 4981 times
Darwin's ships:
Aeroplane ... try them out.
Bulldozer (Pushing Carriers in NFZ)
The rest of it
Darwin Awarded

Re: The Bulldozer

Postby Darwin Awarded » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Here's an updated version:
The arms have been modified to be able to rotate slightly and have more choice in regards to the shape of the object we want to displace. Those are controlled by the mouse button. Also I switched the heavy thrusters on the turrets to light thrusters to strafe with more precision. Therefore it makes things easier to move large objects. Moving stuff in Biome is also made possible thanks to this.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to move this crate towards the crate aggressor, so it was easier for me to just throw it in the now fly guillotine.

Attachments
Bulldozier.png
Bulldozier.png (105.56 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
Darwin's ships:
The rest of it
Darwin Awarded

Postby Darwin Awarded » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Version 4. Has (in addition to the previous versions) the possibility of carrying (centrally) symmetrical smooth objects in an easier fashion. It can also handle triangular objects.

As usual, Q and E deploy the fingers.

N and M control the angle of the fingers.

and Mouse buttons control the main angle (to make the thing 90 deg).

Arrow Keys are precision and strafing controls.

Here's a demo:

Attachments
Bulldozer Mk. 4.png
Bulldozer Mk. 4.png (105.3 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
Darwin's ships:
The rest of it
Darwin Awarded

Postby Blurb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:04 am

I can't help but think of the Planetary Annihilation trailer.
"We'll put thrusters on this asteroid/moon, and FLING IT INTO A PLANET!"
but in Gimbal it's
"We'll put thrusters on this ship and ACCELERATE THIS RELICT INTO THE CARRIER!".

How about capacity for carrying multiple ships, without having them colliding with each other, and being able to launch them in non-parallel directions?
That should allow you to grab and carry at least two heavy weapons platforms and HURL THEM AT THE CARRIER.
Blurb

Postby Darwin Awarded » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:15 am

I was thinking it may be more effective to disarm carriers with a couple of bisons and bombs, then fling them to relics, seeing as carriers are lighter (and thus easier to handle)...

The Mk. 4 is probably my final design, though I may make an alternative one with rocket engines, just to fling things faster.

Also, this tends to really weaken relics (collision with relics to other relics in Biome). You know how when things get damaged, they get a much darker hue ? Well one of the relics went quite dark in Biome. Hopefully I'd like to see how relics explode.

If NASA sees this, would you mind offering a job as R&D in the asteroid deflection department ? :mrgreen:
Darwin's ships:
The rest of it
Darwin Awarded

Postby Darwin Awarded » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:10 pm

This could actually be a viable strategy in zero G (more like zero drag) environments. I assure you that the carrier didn't last long in the no-fly guillotine.

Darwin's ships:
The rest of it
Darwin Awarded

Postby Lambastard » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:49 pm

Any plans on just grabbing enemy ships? :D
Bungling Cosmonaut
Lambastard

Return to The Hangar